Re: IPv4

2007-08-09 10:22:58
At 9:03 AM -0700 8/9/07, Bill Manning wrote:
 > The RIRs are recognized as neutral, primary address space allocators
 who have contractual relationships with the folks to whom they
 allocate addresses. I think it might be more attractive to the new
 holder of address space to have a relationship with an RIR vs. the
 former address space holder, a company that might be acquired by
 another company, change business orientation, declare bankruptcy, ...

        "...are recognsied..."  - by whom?
        "... I think..."      - may not be a shared point of view.

On the IETF list many messages represent points of view that are not widely shared :-).

        One might assume that when GE issues certs for subnets of its
        address space, that a contractual relationship would exist.

I agree that a legal agreement with a large company (e.g., GE or HP) might be just as good a guarantee as an analogous agreement with an RIR.

        And I am pretty sure that GE has been around for quite a few years
        longer than all the RIR's combined.

It has, but it has been in and out of various business areas as the CEO and Board have decided what is and is not a good place to make money as times change.

        RIR's are legal entities, just like other companies... and are subject
        to the same problems that companies have, e.g. aquired, changed
        orientation, bankruptcy... etc.  They are NOT special.

I disagree with your suggestion that the RIRs are not special. They are recognized as being "special" by ICANN.

I will not pursue a rat hole  discussion on whether ICANN is "special" :-).

Steve