Re: IPv4

2007-08-09 09:08:48
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 10:49:20AM -0400, Stephen Kent wrote:
At 6:35 AM -0700 8/9/07, Bill Manning wrote:
The RIRs are working to enable clean transfer of address space
holdings, using X.509 certs. While one could do what what Harald
suggested, the new address space holder would have to worry about HP
revoking the cert it issued to effect the transfer. A "cleaner" model
would call for HP to effect the transfer through a registry, so that
HP is no longer in the cert path.

    and they would then not have to worry about the RIR revoking the
    cert?

--bill

The RIRs are recognized as neutral, primary address space allocators
who have contractual relationships with the folks to whom they
allocate addresses. I think it might be more attractive to the new
holder of address space to have a relationship with an RIR vs. the
former address space holder, a company that might be acquired by
another company, change business orientation, declare bankruptcy, ...

        "...are recognsied..."  - by whom?
        "... I think..."        - may not be a shared point of view.

        One might assume that when GE issues certs for subnets of its
        address space, that a contractual relationship would exist.

        And I am pretty sure that GE has been around for quite a few years
        longer than all the RIR's combined.

        RIR's are legal entities, just like other companies... and are subject
        to the same problems that companies have, e.g. aquired, changed
        orientation, bankruptcy... etc.  They are NOT special.

Steve

--bill