Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

2007-08-09 14:31:31

On Aug 9, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Douglas Otis writes:
The draft classifies Class-E as "Limited Use for Large Private Internets".

What large private internets are these, really? Are we discussing Google potentially needing more than one /8 for its web servers, or are we discussing providers (DSL, Wimax, 802.11, GSM, 3G or other) giving customers addresses from 240/4 via DHCP or PPP?

Employees using 240/4 is one thing. Your mother-in-law getting 247.1.76.22 from her cable modem is quite another.

It will likely take more than a handful of years before this range of addresses can be made universally usable as public IP addresses. Most unmodified equipment and software treat this range as non- routable. Without some incentive beyond altruism, the requisite changes will not occur in a timely manner. It would be wholly unfair to suggest to those late in asking that their assigned public address from this range. However, when employed as a private address, the equipment and software that must be upgraded can be ascertained, and those that would need to make upgrades are also both motivated and able to ensure requisite changes are made.

A large company, Google, access providers and others will easily find 16 million addresses are easily exceeded. For example, by employing IPv4 to IPv6 proxies, large existing deployments might be readily transitioned to IPv6. When done at a large scale, each event would have the potential of freeing up a Class-E worth of unencumbered IPv4 addresses. With this in mind, perhaps IPv6 should be assigned in blocks of 268,435,456 to any large organization. : )

Yes, there will be considerable pain when using addresses within Class-E. For this to be resolved in a timeframe that has a chance of impacting the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses, these problems MUST BE resolved within the private address space.

-Doug