Re: Informational vs. Informational

2007-08-20 11:04:31
Paul Hoffman wrote:
On a thread about a specific document that is proposed to be an Informational RFC coming through the IETF process:

At 1:12 PM -0400 8/20/07, Sam Hartman wrote:
I've asked the sponsoring AD to make a
consensus call on whether we have sufficient support to be making this
sort of statement.  If not, then I'll be happy to take my document to
the rfc editor.

This is pointless. No one other than an expert at the IETF process could differentiate between the two types of Informational RFCs in RFC repository (and many IETF process experts would not get it right on the first try). An Informational RFC is an Informational RFC regardless of the path that got it published.

RFC 2026, sec. 4.2.2 does not appear to designate two different types
of Informational RFCs.  Where is this specified in the standards process?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

Andy