Re: Last Call: draft-weiler-dnssec-dlv-iana (DNSSEC Lookaside Validation (DLV) IANA Registry) to Informational RFC

2007-08-23 17:57:07

Part of the issue with IANA-instruction documents is that they fail to
expose the considerations that have motivated the proposed action, and
it's this lack of context during the review phase that tends to provoke
a critical reaction.

I suspect that what the IESG is asking for is a roundabout way of a
consensus call on the proposed instruction to IANA, not publication of
the document. (Here I'm reading the whitespace of the IESG text, not
their actual words!)

The question of "should it be published?" I interpret as a question of
"should the IETF attempt to direct the IANA to create such a registry as
a part of an IETF standards action?"

Two subsidiary questions back to the IESG:

     - given that this is not a standards action document, does
       publication of the document as informational constitute a clear
       and definitive instruction to IANA?

     - under the current division of responsibilities between the
       various bodies who claim interest in the DNS, is it the role of
       the IETF to undertake such an instruction to IANA in this DNS
       space?

There are a number of subject-oriented questions about DLV, as distinct
from process and role issues that this proposed action also highlights:

- what key should IANA use to sign this DLV registry?

        One IANA creates and publishes.  This is no different to
        what ISC did.

- would this key be any different than a hypothetical key that would be
used to sign the DNS root? Why? Why Not?

        In pure DNSSEC terms it can't be the root key.  The only
        way it could be the root key is if the root is signed and
        the registry was part of the root zone.

- is this just an ersatz root signing mechanism? Why is this appropriate
given that the alternative is simply a signed root zone?

        This proposal is a way to move forward without waiting for
        the politics of signing the root to resolve.  This is
        the classic case of the network routing around a blockage.
        I do believe that it will eventually resolve but at glacial
        pace.

        Generally, DLV trees can work around missing chains of trust.
        This helps regardless of whether the root is signed or not.
        You need to get all infrastructure providors to sign their
        zones before DLV will become irrelevent.

- in the absence of full signing of the DNS from the root down, just how
many DLV spots must a resolver look in? It seems that proliferation of
DLV lookup points is no better (and arguably much worse) than the
original problem of piecemeal DNSSEC deployment - that of key hunting.

        Hopefully only one.  You would use IANA's one if you want
        to see what the world would be like if the root is signed.
        You would use ISC's (or similar) if you want to work around
        missing links in the chains of trust.

Now I'm sure that the author of this document has answers to these and
many more questions, as these considerations are indeed the motivation
for the proposed action.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org