Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-28 16:44:32
Thomas Narten wrote:
Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> writes:

John C Klensin wrote:
--On Tuesday, 28 August, 2007 15:06 -0700 David Kessens
<david(_dot_)kessens(_at_)nsn(_dot_)com> wrote:

Thomas,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 04:09:14PM -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:
We shouldn't be surprised that a "one size fits all" approach
(where home users get the same amount of space by default as
an IBM or Microsoft) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to
some people.
US         2001:49c0::/32          2001:49c0::/32          IBM-IPV6-01
US         2001:4898::/32          2001:4898::/32
MICROSOFT-IPV6-BLK

If there really is a "one size fits all" policy,
where can I get my personal IPv6 /32 allocation ?
Conversely, if /48 is sufficient for any plausible enterprise,
is ARIN being appropriately conservative about addresses here?

Are you saying that from where you sit those organizations don't meet
the requirements for an initial allocation as an LIR?

This is the key point. And as David well knew when he posted his note,
LIRs are not end sites and are treated _very_ differently. A /32 is
the default minimum size an LIR gets. For those not familiar with the
terminology, an LIR is what we usually think of as a ISP or provider,
where the organization provides internet connectivity for a number of
other organizations.

Many large organizations and most if not all isps are in a position to
qualify as IPv6 LIR's.

6.5.1.1. Initial allocation criteria

To qualify for an initial allocation of IPv6 address space, an
organization must:

   1. be an LIR;
   2. not be an end site;
   3. plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it
will assign IPv6 address space, by advertising that connectivity through
its single aggregated address allocation; and
   4. be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region or have a plan for
making at least 200 /48 assignments to other organizations within five
years.

As a data point, ARIN (in the last year) adopted a IPv6 PI for end sites
doing multihoming policy. Such end sites get a /48.

or larger...

6.5.8.1. Criteria

To qualify for a direct assignment, an organization must:

   1. not be an IPv6 LIR; and
   2. qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under the
IPv4 policy currently in effect.

6.5.8.2. Initial assignment size

Organizations that meet the direct assignment criteria are eligible to
receive a direct assignment. The minimum size of the assignment is /48.
Organizations requesting a larger assignment must provide documentation
justifying the need for additional subnets.

These assignments shall be made from a distinctly identified prefix and
shall be made with a reservation for growth of at least a /44.
6.5.8.3. Subsequent assignment size

Additional assignments may be made when the need for additional subnets
is justified. When possible, assignments will be made from an adjacent
address block.

Thomas