Re: Last Call comment on draft-weiler-dnssec-dlv-iana-00.txt

2007-08-28 16:58:42

At 11:27 -0700 8/27/07, Ted Hardie wrote:

After reading the  document, I do not believe it has
sufficient detail to be advice to IANA.

I agree with that.  I've sent details on this privately to the
editor, WG chair, and IESG secretary as that is mostly a matter of
mechanics.

I think even that is an inaccurate reflection of this document.
"Should the IETF instruct the IANA to set up this registry?" would
be a closer reading, at least in my opinion.  My answer to that
question is no.

After getting my head up out of the registry operations quicksand I
am becoming increasingly convinced that setting up a DLV at IANA is
the wrong step to take.

    The second is that these instructions essentially
force the use of at least two DLVs.

That's very convincing to me.  Having a second DLV operator doesn't
benefit the public Internet enough to ask IANA to take on the extra
role.

And yes, if there is to be DNSSEC anywhere the public Internet root
zone ought to be signed.

        The alternative is to direct IANA to collect, maintain and
        distribute this information to the DLV operators in the
        absence of a signed root.  This would give a trusted path
        for data entry into the general DLV trees.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org