Re: Last Call comment on draft-weiler-dnssec-dlv-iana-00.txt

2007-08-29 17:09:30

Mark,

On Aug 29, 2007, at 4:23 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
If the root gets signed and you remove the DLV stuff, won't you break
any caching resolver that still has the DLV trust anchor configured?
    No.  Please re-read the quoted paragraph.  The root's DLV
    will be there.

Please re-read my question.

    You only need DLV records where there is a missing link in the
    trust chain.  If you have "." you don't need a DLV for "se" as
    there will be a DS for "se" in the root zone.

Perhaps surprisingly, I understand this.

My question, somewhat expanded, is:

If you configure a trust anchor for "the" DLV registry and at some
point in time in the future, that DLV registry ceases to function
_and you have not changed the trust anchor configuration_, won't
validation fail?

The point of this question:

If you start mucking about with production services that require
configuration on the part of system administrators (particularly in
the somewhat arcane world of DNSSEC trust anchors), it can become
quite difficult to stop that production service without breaking
stuff.  Is this a place we want to go for a temporary hack?

Thanks,
-drc

        We were well aware of that.  A minimal DLV is a signed empty
        zone.  Agressive negative caching will reduce the query
        load to 1 query per neg ttl.  ~1 query every 3 hours with
        current defaults.

        Once you are in the DLV registry business you are in it for
        the long haul.  I expect it would take years to taper off.

        ISC also has a mailing list to inform people of roll overs
        on the DLV trust anchor.  This same list can be used to
        inform people that the DLV registry is shutting down
        (going to minimial state).

        If one wants to force the issue one lets the RRSIG expire
        which will break resolution for anything for which there is
        not a trust chain from a alternate trust anchor.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org