Re: [tsv-dir] Re: Transport Directorate review of draft-ietf-ipfix-implementation-guidelines-06.txt

2007-09-06 05:56:12
Lars,

Looking at draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-guidelines-02, I see TFRC recommended
for "Bulk Transfer Applications" (section 3.1.1).

However, I think that netflow and IPFIX export fall into the "Low
Data-Volume Applications" category (section 3.1.2) which says:

I don't see IPFIX falling into this category. IPFIX will send many packets to a destination. (And even if IPFIX fell into this category, it'd need to implement congestion control mechanisms for low-datarate applications, which the draft also gives guidelines for.)

As far as I can see, draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-guidelines-02 contains no guidance other than:

  "Applications that perform bulk transmission of data" (3.1.1)

and

  "When applications that exchange only a small number of messages with
   a destination at any time" (3.1.2.)

Unfortunately "bulk transmission", "a small number of messages" and "at any time" don't seem to be clarified or defined in any way.

(Nor for that matter is there any distinction between a small number of large messages and a large number of small messages, though both may ultimately carry the same amount of data.)

So yes, as you assert, "IPFIX will send many packets to a destination". Of course, that's expected of most protocols, is it not?

And that could easily be "a small number of messages ... at any time", depending how exactly those terms are defined. Hopefully you can offer us some clarification?

But for now, since we estimate that NetFlow v9 export consumes a mere 2-5% of the bandwidth of a monitored channel, I consider that it does fall into the "Low Data-Volume" category.

Cheers.
--
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.