Re: Last Call: draft-saintandre-jabberid (The Jabber-ID Header Field) to Proposed Standard

2007-09-06 12:21:19
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Tony Finch wrote:
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Dave Crocker wrote:

IM is to XMPP as email is to SMTP et al.

That would be premature, since Jabber has not yet taken over the IM world
in the way that the Internet standards have done for email.

Right. "Jabber is to XMPP as email is to SMTP as the web is to HTTP"
doesn't imply that all IM systems are based on XMPP.

Regarding your second comparison, it occurs to me that we still call it
the (world-wide) web, not distributed multimedia hypertext, even though
practically all distributed multimedia hypertext uses HTTP and HTML.
[But then even WWW has less than twelve syllables.]

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA: SOUTHERLY, BACKING NORTHEASTERLY FOR A TIME, 3 OR 4. SLIGHT OR