RE: Symptoms vs. Causes

2007-09-12 05:22:49
I think this discussion here is completely off base. It is thinking in terms of
1980s authentication protocol design where the relying party is the
authentication authority. It is also attempting to solve a problem for a
constituency that isn't here (Dan excepted) and has not been asked what its
real requirements are.

First need to separate the two so that the choice of authentication mechanism
is a decision between the user and the authentication authority and the relying
party's role is limited to deciding whether a particular authentication
authority and mechanism are adequate for their needs.

This means that we need to have a consistent mechanism wherby the relying party
can route authentication queries to the appropriate authentication authority.
In the case of a federated system where one credential can be used at multiple
locations it means we need a discovery layer.

We have no shortage of authentication protocols (SAML, WS-*, EAP, &ct. &ct.).
We have a standard for a personal identifier. What we lack is a standard
discovery mechanism. OpenID has several mechanisms that are designed to
integrate into the infrastructure as it is. That and SRV appear to be very
useful starting points.

What has to be avoided at all costs is yet another meta-neogtiation layer to
select the authentication protocol or for that matter more authentication
protocols.