Re: draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02.txt

2007-09-12 05:31:11
Alexey,

I am looking for a lightweight process that doesn't introduce as much
delay as a typical WG does.

I'm not sure the SG process is what you are looking for.

FYI: Depending what you do, you may have different alternatives, too
besides creating a BOF, then WG, and completing your document there.

Some of the alternatives include

- Adding a work item in an existing WG. Rechartering for something that
  is clearly needed & uncontroversial should not be a big problem.

- Some areas have area WGs that process topics, bug fixes, etc. that
  do not fit in other WGs.

- Individual submission process. Submission to the AD, last call
  on the IETF main list.

  See http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/ions/ion-ad-sponsoring.html

But if you are just generally unhappy with the speed of WGs,
that's a tougher problem to solve. Some of the problems, like
lack of author cycles or contentious topics might follow you
to whatever process you try to employ.

In particular I am interested in something that might work for
reviewing and building consensus around a well defined piece of work
(typically a document). One use case I have is a document that is not
a product of a WG, but  which defines a framework shared by two
existing working groups.

Sounds like the individual submission process or an area WG might
be more appropriate for this.

Jari