Re: draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02.txt

2007-09-13 02:41:31
Jari Arkko wrote:

Alexey,
I am looking for a lightweight process that doesn't introduce as much
delay as a typical WG does.
I'm not sure the SG process is what you are looking for.
Hi Jari,
I think your reply just confirmed that.

FYI: Depending what you do, you may have different alternatives, too
besides creating a BOF, then WG, and completing your document there.

Some of the alternatives include

- Adding a work item in an existing WG. Rechartering for something that
 is clearly needed & uncontroversial should not be a big problem.

- Some areas have area WGs that process topics, bug fixes, etc. that
 do not fit in other WGs.

- Individual submission process. Submission to the AD, last call
 on the IETF main list.
For the case I was thinking about (i.e. a draft which was a common dependency between 2 WGs), the 3rd alternative proved to be the quickest. Luckily the document wasn't as controversial as I thought it would be. Option 2 was not available due to lack of any such WG in the Apps Area. Option 1 might have worked, but it could have lead to a discussion about which WG should take it, which is a distraction in itself. There is also a perception than rechartering is sufficiently painful, so many WG don't bother unless they are forced to.

 See http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/ions/ion-ad-sponsoring.html

But if you are just generally unhappy with the speed of WGs,
that's a tougher problem to solve.

Agreed. My message was partially motivated by a recent thread on apps mailing list regarding Individual Submissions versa WG documents.

Some of the problems, like
lack of author cycles or contentious topics might follow you
to whatever process you try to employ.