Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-13 02:33:32
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 04:05:09PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

Let me see if I understand this. Without PI, the enterprises say
no, and with
PI, the ISP's say no. Got it.

I believe that a more constructive assessment is that enterprises are
unwilling to pay non-trivial costs to renumber, and ISPs are
unwilling to pay non-trivial costs to support a non-scalable routing
subsystem.

      my persistent question to the enterprise operator is this:
      how frequently do you plan to switch your isp, or how many times
      did you do that in the past?

      i have never got any reasonable answer from anyone.

OK, I'll bite.   Never, and never (in nearly 20 years).   Although we
in effect have IPv4 PI as being an older university we came online when
getting an old Class B was easy, before IP allocations were made from
the NREN space.

We have renumbered our IPv6 networking as part of experimental/research
work (and would from that experience certainly say fully automated
renumbering is not possible today), but that was just an academic (and
very interesting) exercise.

If IPv6 PI were available to us we'd use it because it costs us no extra
to do so.

--
Tim