Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-18 22:00:29
Thus spake "Noel Chiappa" <jnc(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>
   > From: Jeff McAdams <jeffm(_at_)iglou(_dot_)com>

   > In the enterprise world, where I live now, IPv6 is just flat out a
   > non-starter without PI space. Its just not even a discussion that's
> even useful to have, because the answer to IPv6 without PI is just "No."

Let me see if I understand this. Without PI, the enterprises say no, and with
PI, the ISP's say no. Got it.

The ISPs fought it, but in the end they've accepted PI because the enterprises are the ones paying their bills. If supporting PI raises their costs, it'll raise _everyone's_ costs and the enterprises will continue to pay.

Just out of curiousity, how do the enterprises expect to exhange bits without
ISP's?

Lots of business associations _do_ operate private networks -- not connected to the public Internet or any ISP -- to exchange bits with each other reliably. Those folks generally do not participate in the IETF/RIR process, so many forget they exist.