Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-18 22:00:29
Thus spake "Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino" <itojun(_at_)itojun(_dot_)org>
> Let me see if I understand this. Without PI, the enterprises say
> no, and with PI, the ISP's say no. Got it.

I believe that a more constructive assessment is that enterprises
are unwilling to pay non-trivial costs to renumber, and ISPs are
unwilling to pay non-trivial costs to support a non-scalable
routing subsystem.

my persistent question to the enterprise operator is this: how
frequently do you plan to switch your isp, or how many times
did you do that in the past?

i have never got any reasonable answer from anyone.

At a former employer, we had POPs in various sites around the globe, each with three to seven ISP connections. We'd typically change out one or two of those ISPs at each POP each year, based on pricing changes, traffic shares, service levels, and general arm-twisting of salespeople.

I've seen similar elsewhere with folks I've consulted for: they want at least three providers, and they swap out one per year as the typical three-year contracts expire. In fact, it's been alleged in other fora that multihoming in this manner (i.e. with PI) has become mandatory in the US for public corporations, though I've never seen a citation.