Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-13 09:10:26
  my persistent question to the enterprise operator is this: how
  frequently do you plan to switch your isp, or how many times did you
  do that in the past?

That's actually irrelevant.  Regardless of the real answer, enterprises
are not willing to buy into vendor lock.

      if the management needs to be convinced by the cost, i would suggest
      ISPs to price PI advertisement like hell ($$$), so that we can make
      the worldwide routing table smaller.  it will help ISPs use smaller
      peering routers in the end.

that's not how business economies work.  many isp's are hoping that other
isp's adopt the pricing model you propose above, because it will drive sales
toward the isp's who don't adopt it.

the middle quote above is perfectly correct: "that's actually irrelevant."
as the "cost of renumbering" slider moves upward, so will the "price gouging
by ISP's".  nobody wants to leave money on the table.  a business who knows
it will be difficult to renumber also knows that whatever ISP they choose
will use that difficulty as leverage whereby their service level will be low
and their pricing will go higher.  PI is counter-leverage.  without it, you
get NAT, with small islands of PA on the outside and probably IPv4 on the
inside.

telling ISP's what they should do when it will mean making less money is a
waste of your time and theirs.  telling enterprises what they should do when
it means paying more money is likewise a waste of everybody's time.  this is
not a managed economy.

imagine cisco using verizon-provided PA space to number every workstation and
wireless LAN and router and server in the company.  would they be so foolish?
(i'm not picking on verizon here, as far as i know they run a fine network.)

now imagine ford motor company.  or toyota.  or wal-mart.  or any bank.

is it only the large companies who can't afford the risk of price lock-in?
so, imagine home depot or norwegian cruise lines.

if i were the CIO of any of those companies, i'd say "PI or NAT, exclusively"
and if i didn't, then i'd expect the board and shareholders to hunt me down
and kill me once the bills started coming due.

(i'm signing off for the day, having reached what i think is a reasonable
quota for one mailing list in one day-night cycle, and i've delete-paragraphed
a whole rant tying this back to the Tyranny of the Core and ula-global.)