Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-15 10:20:31
On 15-sep-2007, at 18:42, Terry Gray wrote:

Example: Fred mentioned that it would be nice to just use some form of
host names, instead of addresses, but in the world I live in, MANY
groups are geographically dispersed and want Traffic Disruption
Appliances on each of their subnets to allow unrestricted flow among
their *blocks* of addresses --they certainly would not want to either
a) manage large lists of explicit host addresses *or* names, or b)
change their complex firewall rules whenever someone sez let's do the
Renumber Drill!

[...]

As others have said, this is not entirely a technology problem.

Usually the reason for that is that the technology isn't good enough to solve the problem fully, which may or may not be a fundamental, unsolvable issue.

As far as making IP addresses less visible than they are today, I think there is a lot we can do. My day job involves creating router configurations (in networks that aren't large enough to have sophisticated management systems). I have to put addresses rather than names in router configurations because when there is trouble with the network, it may not be possible to ask the DNS to translate a name into an address. (And there's the security issues.)

The way the DNS works today is that you ask it for a mapping, and it returns you that mapping along with a time to live value. After that, you need to forget the mapping and consult the DNS again. A system that would work much better in router/firewall/etc configurations is a system where you may ask the name resolving system for a mapping to get you started, but once you have your mapping, you get to keep it until the name resolving system contacts YOU and tells you something has changed.

Such a name resolving system would have to be under explicit administrative control, so that when my vendor that needs access to something deep inside the firewalled core of my network changes his/ her address I as an administrator get to see that and execute a policy (verify certificates, make a phone call, change vendors). The issue of unreachable root servers etc becomes moot because in that case you just keep running with the existing mapping information.

Working with names is much easier than with addresses because you can easily allow *.example.com rather than all the individual addresses/ prefixes that Example, Inc uses around the world. blah.vendors.example.com could also point to mothership.blah.com so you only need to allow *.vendors.example.com rather than a long list of vendors.