Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-14 16:36:34

    Actually it is.  You just are not willing to do it.  It is
    100% possible to do this automatically.  It just requires
    the chains of trust to be setup.
=20
    If you live in a dynamic world, you setup those chains.
=20
    Just don't say that renumbering can't be automated because
    it can.

You repeatedly wave your hands and say that it can be done but you
refuse to provide a single reference to a protocol or implementation
which makes this possible. The reason people are arguing against you is
because we do not know of a case study where this is successfully being
done. We don't know of any software which is successfully being used to
renumber firewalls.

Please point us to specific references, conferences, case studies, RFCs,
etc.

        I get renumbered in IPv4 today.

        I have my dhcp client fire off a reconfig script.

        That script

        * reconfigures the IPv6 tunnel to use the new address.
          It does *both* ends.

        * It notifies all the remote parties that need to know thar
          the remote address has changed as they need to change
          configuration details.  Thise includes getting firewalls
          updated and DNS servers updated.

        Yes it is ad-hoc but it also proves that it can be done.

        I'm lazy.  I have better things to do that type email notices
        whenever my IP address changes.  Historically that is every 3-6
        months.

        Mark

--Michael Dillon

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org