Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-14 07:26:24
Well...

you seem to be thinking that this is a purely technical problem. it's not.

I can go there, on this point ...

and there are valid reasons for keeping humans in the loop, and slowing
things down, when trust is involved.

... and i can go that direction, on this point, but not all the way there. It is possible to "keep a human in the loop" without doing so in real time.

As Michael pointed out, we trust BGP4 with a lot (see the many NANOG presentations on why this can be exciting, but we do), for many networks, including the largest networks.

BGP4 does involve humans, because you can't do policy-based routing and policy-based traffic engineering without a human telling BGP4 "yes, that WOULD be the shortest path, but don't use it for THIS traffic because of economic reason X".

But once humans tell BGP4 what the policy is, we pretty much trust the protocol to "do the right thing" in selecting paths out of an AS, reflecting current connectivity, without human involvement, until something goes breathtakingly wrong.

At least, that's the way it seems to me.

Spencer