Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-15 07:09:25

      interestingly, some software vendors ship w/ license
      keys tied to IP addresses... particularly for enterprise
      level stuff.  not so easy to update in my experience.

        I've always thought that practice to be STUPID.  It was
        stupid 15 years ago and it is still stupid today.  Yes
        I've had to renumber sites with keys tied to IP addresses.

      then there is the thorny DNS problem of updating the
      root hints file.  If DNS is so automated, why is this
      still a big problem?  (noting that the legacy address
      for "B" is still getting 300qps, nearly three YEARS
      after it was turned down)

        Once we get the root, net and root-server.net signed, writing
        out new hints is can be done with a high degree of assurance
        that the contents reflect reality.  Sure there will still
        be old boxes that continue to try to talk to B but the new
        boxes won't and eventually all the old boxes will go, due
        to component failure if nothing else.

      David is correct, scale does have its own set of renumbering
      problems.  While i believe you, i think your confidence
      is based on some naieve assumptions.

        I'm not saying scale doesn't have problems.  Automation
        however is the solution to those problems.  That's why
        management stations were invented.

        Mark

--bill
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org