Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-15 08:18:49
At 5:08 PM +0200 9/15/07, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 15-sep-2007, at 16:51, Paul Hoffman wrote:

        keys tied to IP addresses... particularly for enterprise
        level stuff.  not so easy to update in my experience.

        I've always thought that practice to be STUPID.  It was
        stupid 15 years ago and it is still stupid today.

The fact that you as an individual thing it is stupid (in uppercase or lowercase) is irrelevant. Several large vendors disagree with you. Their customers have gotten used to dealing with this and do not consider it so onerous as to change to the other large vendors who use a different licensing scheme.

If we can't agree that this practice is stupid, can we at least agree that we can't let this impose restrictions on what we can and can't do within the IETF?

Certainly. Every vendor who ties a license to an IP address has already had to deal with customers who change IP addresses. I doubt that Bill's mentioning of this practice was meant to say "therefore we can never do anything that would cause renumbering".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium