Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-15 00:55:31
On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 12:06:26PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

Mark,

  I get renumbered in IPv4 today.

I suspect there is probably a question of scale here.

I wouldn't be surprised that a small home network with a limited
number of subnets and systems could be automatically renumbered.

I would be surprised if a network of any appreciable size could be.
Particularly one that has non-trivial relationships with other networks.

How many subnets and devices are there on the network you
automatically renumber?

Regards,
-drc

      The point was to demonstrate that it can be done.

      It just requires people to be willing to do this.

      On a home network you do most of the things by hand.
      In a enterprise you use a network management station
      to do the work for you.  Having that management station
      send out notifications to third parties is really not
      a big ask.

      Mark

        interestingly, some software vendors ship w/ license
        keys tied to IP addresses... particularly for enterprise
        level stuff.  not so easy to update in my experience.

        then there is the thorny DNS problem of updating the
        root hints file.  If DNS is so automated, why is this
        still a big problem?  (noting that the legacy address
        for "B" is still getting 300qps, nearly three YEARS
        after it was turned down)

        David is correct, scale does have its own set of renumbering
        problems.  While i believe you, i think your confidence
        is based on some naieve assumptions.

--bill

--
--bill