Re: Renumbering

2007-09-19 08:44:36
Thus spake "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>
My apologies for intruding, because I haven't been following the
technology during the past couple of years, but V6OPS did an
informational RFC on renumbering without a flag day
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4192.txt) in 2005.

I thought the document was helpful when I last looked at it (prepublication).

It's helpful in that it documents how to solve maybe a quarter to a half of the technology problems with renumbering. It doesn't solve a lot of other ones, including _any_ of the human problems.

The human problems are easily 90% of the effort involved in renumbering. That many of those problems are self-imposed is irrelevant, since they are political problems, not technical problems, and thus outside the scope of the IETF's work. Perhaps better tools would make it easier to solve those political problems, but telling people that change control processes or security rules are "wrong" is just going to get you ignored.