Re: Renumbering ... Should we consider an association that spans transports?

2007-09-13 14:53:02

On Sep 13, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

The idea is this: An "association" is an end-to-end relationship between a pair of applications that potentially spans several transport lifetimes.

Wouldn't that be the OSI session layer (that IP doesn't have)?

Not necessarily. A 'session' in the OSI verbiage (at least as far as I can understand it ;-), spans across individual transport connections. The de-facto session layer that we have today in IP is an ssh tunnel, with applications tunneled across it and some very poor security within that tunnel.

A key question here is whether the 'association' is a single connection or not. While the association may span the change of underlying infrastructure, the real question is whether it presents a single concatenated transport abstraction or if it's multiple connections. I think we need the former.

Tony