Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-15 19:19:19

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 12:08:30AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

  interestingly, some software vendors ship w/ license
  keys tied to IP addresses... particularly for enterprise
  level stuff.  not so easy to update in my experience.

    I've always thought that practice to be STUPID.  It was
    stupid 15 years ago and it is still stupid today.  Yes
    I've had to renumber sites with keys tied to IP addresses.

      stupid or not, it exists and is not ammenable to automation.

        Why isn't it?  It's just one more message for the management
        station to push out.

  David is correct, scale does have its own set of renumbering
  problems.  While i believe you, i think your confidence
  is based on some naieve assumptions.

    I'm not saying scale doesn't have problems.  Automation
    however is the solution to those problems.  That's why
    management stations were invented.

      automation can augment renumbering events, but until we
      have a fundamental change in architecture, renumbering will require
      human intervention and will always be disruptive.

        It doesn't take a change in architecture.  We have the
        technology today to remove the need to tie anything to specific
        IP addresses.  It just requires the willingness to use it.

        Mark

--bill
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org