Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-20 10:33:59
On 20-sep-2007, at 18:33, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

the RIRs will  consider deprecating PI.

And that would be the same kind of consideration that has gone towards "deprecating" the holding of nearly 0.5% of the total IPv4 address space by a single organization? Despite the fact that
we're quickly running out of available IPv4 space and the number
of organizations involved is less than 50, visible efforts have yet
to materialize.

ARIN's counsel has told ARIN that it is unclear if they have legal standing to revoke legacy assignments.

First of all, litigation isn't the only way to get something done, and second, do don't know that until you try. We did see 46/8 come back earlier this year, but unless I'm mistaken, that was the first legacy /8 to be returned this century.

And, for the record, there are over 50,000 of them, not less than 50.

50000 organizations holding nearly 0.5% of the IPv4 space each? I'm impressed! With that kind of address compression technology we don't need IPv6 after all.

Also, projections show that even if we reclaimed _every_ legacy assignment (many of which are still in use and even justified under current policy), it would only delay exhaustion six months to a year; it is felt that doing so is not generally worth the effort and would certainly cost an absurd amount in legal fees, and the litigation is likely to last beyond the exhaustion date anyways (with no solid guess as to who would win in the end).

I mostly agree with that, but a few years ago it looked like reclaiming, say, half of the legacy /8s would buy us 2 - 5 extra years of IPv4 lifetime and there was enough time to do it at that point. Same thing for repurposing 240/4, by the way.

So I doubt anything is going to happen once a few tens of
thousands of organizations have cast their IPv6 PI addresses in stone. Those prefixes will be around for a _long_ time.

The situation is different with v6 because all PI assignments are subject to a contract that allows ARIN to revoke them at any time with a policy change. If a viable alternative emerged, ARIN could stop making new PI assignments, deprecate the existing ones, and drop them after a few years' transition period.

I don't believe that for one second. Maybe the RIRs have contracts with all new PI holders, but that doesn't automatically give ARIN the authority to reclaim address space after a policy change. I don't know of a precedent of any RIR EVER reclaiming ANY address space without the cooperation of the holder, despite the holder not complying with policies.

As a non-lawyer, I would judge the chances in court for reclaiming IPv4 /8s higher than those for reclaiming IPv6 PI space: in the first case, it's the benefit the continued operation of the IPv4 internet, in the latter case, it's going to look highly arbitrary.