Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-21 09:15:04
Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>
On 20-sep-2007, at 21:10, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
First of all, litigation isn't the only way to get something done, and second, do don't know that until you try.

If you try to revoke someone's /8 or /16, you can bet that they're going to sue you.

So? The RIRs and ICANN have deep pockets.

SCO had "deep" pockets too. IBM, Novell, etc. had much, much deeper pockets. Do you really think ARIN or ICANN could take on titans such as GE, IBM, AT&T, Xerox, HP, Apple, Ford, Halliburton, Eli Lilly, Prudential, and Merck? Even _one_ of them? ARIN would be squashed like a bug. Not to mention the entire weight of the USG if ARIN tries to mess with _their_ 13 /8s.

I'm confident that the RIRs' membership would oust any leaders that knowingly got them engaged in significant litigation of this sort.

But there are other approaches than simply revoking the address space. For instance, setting up a policy that governs who gets to keep legacy space that takes into consideration various types of
use and cost of renumbering makes sense. I'm sure some
legacy space is used in a way that's fairly reasonable, while
other space isn't used at all.

I have proposed policy for ARIN to head in that direction. We'll see if it passes next month.

Obviously the elephant in the room is the US government that has about 5% of all address space, which seems excessive even for
legacy holders.

We don't know what the US DoD is doing with their addresses since that's classified; besides, it was their network to begin with so they do have some special priviledges. The remainder of the USG's address space appears reasonable given the number of hosts/employees/etc.

I'm sure you're aware that different size assignments were
made to different organizations.

I was specifically talking about the /8s, where you get a decent
bang for your reclaiming effort buck. But even that isn't enough
anymore to bother at this point...

Those /8s are held by orgs with significant financial resources and are all at least partially still in use. There are thousands of /16s and tens of thousands of /24s that can be reclaimed with less effort, time, and cost than a single /8 could be, because those smaller blocks aren't in use anymore. There's also a fair amount of squatting on LIR-issued blocks that were justified at the time but aren't anymore.

Even if true, that point is past. Based on current projections, it is unlikely we'd be able to recover _any_ /8s before exhaustion hits due to the protracted litigation that would ensue, and even
if  we did manage to get some of them back (which isn't
guaranteed, and would cost millions of dollars in any case),

What would that be, $0.25 per address? Big deal.

ARIN gets a _maximum_ of $0.034 per address from the "Xtra Large" ISPs that are consuming 80% of ARIN's address space. In reality, they would get $0 per address because those ISPs have already topped out on the fees they pay; once you pass a /14, you pay _nothing_ for additional addresses.

My pleas to correct the fee schedule's indirect encouragement of massive waste have apparently fallen on deaf ears.

IPv6 still won't be deployed and usable in any meaningful way unless we make more progress in the next two years than we
have in the last ten.

Progress in various aspects of IPv6 has been slow because it
didn't need to be faster. I see no solvable issues with IPv6
deployment that can't be solved in those 2 years.

The single biggest thing we need now are consumer CPE boxes that understand v6 and have 6to4 on by default. The host issue will take care of itself over the next couple of years as non-Vista machines wear out and are replaced.

We also need specialty boxes like load balancers, firewalls, NMS, etc. to gain v6 support, but that problem is a few orders of magnitude smaller in scope and could be solved within 2 years by operators beating on their respective sales droids _today_.

(No, we still won't have routing that will take us to the next century
by then, but I suggest we don't wait for that.)

No offense to the ISPs, but fixing the DFZ is a relatively small problem _to deploy_ compared to upgrading a billion end-user sites. It's a much harder problem to come up with a solution for, though -- and the sort of problem the IRTF and IETF seem to be best at.

Same thing for repurposing 240/4, by the way.

Decade problem.  Come back and discuss that when Windows
recognizes that block as normal unicast addresses by default.

If we had done this two years ago it could have been in Vista
and in an XP update, so the space would have been usable by
2010 or so when the older Windows versions and other
implementations that don't accept these addresses would have
had the time to be updated manually or replaced.

v6 _could_ have been in NT4, Win98, WinMe, Win2k, WinXP, or Win2k3. It wasn't; it was first implemented and on by default in Vista. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I will assert that any fundamental change to host TCP/IP stacks will take a decade to see in Windows, because that's the example we have to work with.

Maybe the RIRs have contracts with all new PI holders, but that
doesn't automatically give ARIN the authority to reclaim
address space after a policy change.

Again, I don't know about all RIRs, but that is _explicitly called out_ in ARIN's Registration Services Agreement

RIRs would still have to show that it's a reasonable thing to do. I'm still not a lawyer, but I could easily come up with several arguments why I should be able to keep my addresses despite any contracts.

ARIN's counsel -- who is a lawyer -- has not stated that it would be a problem for non-legacy space. Since he's discussed at length the problems with trying to revoke legacy space, and he's responsible for the language in the RSA that says ARIN can revoke any non-legacy number resource that doesn't meet current policy, that implies he doesn't see a significant problem with revoking non-legacy space.

Either way, we will have an official statement before the meeting next month, so laymen arguing the point now is a waste of bits.

and AFAIK has been since day one.

I have never heard of a case where an otherwise legitimate organization (i.e., not a front for a spam outfit or some such) used address space in a way that wasn't abusive or criminal, but didn't comply with RIR policies and got those revoked.

So far, ARIN has only been revoking blocks that were originally obtained by fraud. It is believed that most of that fraud has been committed by spammers; AFAIK there are no official stats on what percentage isn't, though.

As a non-lawyer, I would judge the chances in court for
reclaiming IPv4 /8s higher than those for reclaiming IPv6 PI
space: in the first case, it's the benefit the continued operation
of the IPv4 internet, in the latter case, it's going to look highly
arbitrary.

I'd suggest you review the comments by ARIN's counsel at the
last meeting WRT revoking legacy assignments.  It's more
complicated than it appears at first glance, particularly to
someone not used to our legal system.

Isn't everything?

The opinions of one lawyer aren't worth much. As a profession,
they lose 50% of all their cases, so obviously they must be
wrong 50% of the time. (Not sure if engineers do better, though.)

Lawyers are paid to argue cases their clients tell them to, regardless of whether they think they're going to win or lose -- or right or wrong. Do you really think SCO's lawyers thought they were going to win against IBM and Novell, or do you think they were laughing at their client while they collected massive legal fees? Lots of lawsuits are initiated _knowing_ the plaintiff will lose just so they can bleed the defendant dry; in many cases, the plaintiff (or prosecutor) prevails even though they're clearly wrong simply because the defendant can't afford to fight them.