IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-12 07:35:16

I have an application where I will have approximately 2000 hosts (many
of them virtualized) in a cabinet, and I will eventually have hundreds
of such cabinets spread around the world.

Naturally, I want to directly address all such hosts, and it turns out
that IPv6 autoconfiguration is just perfect for these hosts.

I also control all the operating systems, and all my operating systems
are IPv6 capable (although my PXE systems will run over IPv4 until the
systems are booted).   I am willing to pay a registrar for some proper
IPv6 address space, specifically so that I can get the reverse map
properly delegated to me.

This network will not likely to be announced in the default-free IPv6 zone.
(Of course, that's what Nortel, Apple, Ford, etc. said back when they got
their IPv4 /8's. Or rather, when Apple didn't..)

Site-local addresses could be used, but they are distasteful to me for
all the reasons that they were deprecated, and all the reasons in
rfc1627.
(ARIN has suggested that I might consider site-local addresses)

ARIN has asked told me:
     (2) In order to receive an initial IPv6 assignment, you must
         qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under
         the IPv4 policy currently in effect.

Well, the answer would be, for this use would be "use 10.x" network for
IPv4.  That's why I asked for IPv6.
(none of the other rfc1918 spaces are big enough for my use, btw)

I am very disappointed. I don't expect anyone to go and fix ARIN.
I am simply posting to express myself.

I also have heard that RIPE isn't so non-sensical.
It looks like I will use 6to4 to form my own /48.

- --
]            Bear: "Me, I'm just the shape of a bear."          |  firewalls  [
] mcr(_at_)xelerance(_dot_)com      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/