Re: Symptoms vs. Causes

2007-09-12 08:15:42
At Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:08:05 +0200,
Eliot Lear wrote:

Eric,
Each of these approaches has a fairly obvious architecture. In fact,
Digest, which I forgot to mention in my previous message,
already has a pre-existing architecture, and PwdHash works with
the existing architecture.

You have to put the two together.  ALL of the approaches that you
mention fail given an insecure UI.

It depends what you mean by "secure UI". If you mean "unspoofable
password entry prompt", that's one thing. If you mean "client side
software that's not susceptible to malware, keyloggers, etc.",
that's quite another. All the approaches I mention work just fine
with the first class of secure UI--provided we knew how to build
one that people could actually use.

NONE of them are likely to be
applicable given a secure UI.

I don't agree with this assertion.

 What will be necessary is a secured
channel from the authentication module of the user to the authenticating
party.

What's an "authentication module"? You seem to be assuming a particular
system architecture that you haven't laid out.

-Ekr