Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops (An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Patch Operations Framework Utilizing XML Path Language (XPath) Selectors) to Proposed Standard

2007-09-18 07:20:38
On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 02:19:51PM +0200,
 Tom.Petch <sisyphus(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 135 lines which said:

I question the use of XPath 1.0, when XPath 2.0 was approved at the
start of this year. It seems short-sighted, a bit like choosing IPv4
over IPv6

I strongly disagree. Xpath 2.0 is *much* more complicated than Xpath
1.0. Among free software, there is little implementation (or even
plans) of 2.0. Xpath 2.0 is quite controversial.

The comparison with IPv4/v6 is wrong. If you start from scratch, IPv6
is no more complicated than IPv4 (and it is probably the
opposite). Xpath 2.0 is always much more difficult to implement (for
instance, it requires schemas).

This business of updating parts of an XML document seems to be
cropping up in a number of places in the IETF with very different
solutions.

AFAIK, this is the first one to be specified at IETF. Other contenders
are:

* REX (W3C), which uses DOM events http://www.w3.org/TR/rex/

* Xquery update (W3C) http://www.w3.org/TR/xqupdate/

* XUpdate, which seems completely dead
http://xmldb-org.sourceforge.net/xupdate/

* DUL, there was an I-D, "A delta format for XML documents",
draft-mouat-xml-patch-00.txt, now expired
http://sourceforge.net/projects/diffxml