Re: Renumbering

2007-09-24 15:56:22
On 25-sep-2007, at 0:34, Mark Andrews wrote:

        Actually getaddrinfo() not asking for AAAA all the time is
        broken if you add in searching which most/all getaddrinfo()
        calls do.

        You want to get to the *same* name when searching regardless
        of whether it has A, AAAA or AAAA & A records.  There are two
        way to achieve this.

I don't understand what you're saying: "get the same name"? We're talking about getting addresses, we already have the name.

                getaddrinfo("foo") and getaddrinfo("ftp.uu.net")

                search "example.org example.net example.com"

You really don't want to have a list of search domains, the ambiguity will bite you at some point. Better to stick with fully qualified names.

                foo.example.org A 1.2.3.4
                foo.example.net A 2001::1
                *.example.com A 1.2.3.5
                *.example.com A 2001::2

(Don't you mean AAAA for the IPv6 addresses?)

You are comingling way too many things here. Let me simply conclude that foo.example.org is the first name that is tried and since it exists what comes back for that name is what's going to be used. I'm reasonably sure this is even the case when "what comes back" is an empty set.