Re: Renumbering

2007-09-19 09:49:05
On 19-sep-2007, at 17:48, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

All of those things are broken, of course. That doesn't change the fact they exist and folks in the operational community will not be impressed with a "solution" that ignores those problems.

Sometimes ignoring a problem really does make it go away. Install a workaround, on the other hand, and the brokenness remains non-obvious so it persists.

I'm not advocating going around and breaking implementations that don't fully conform with specs on purpose, but if doing the right thing means that out-of-spec implementations see some problems, I can usually live with that.