Re: Renumbering

2007-09-13 16:16:22
Iljitsch,

On Sep 13, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
Disconnect current session, reconnect.
Uh, not unless your application has some sort of retry or checkpoint-restart capability.
I think the way IPv6 handles this by deprecating the current address but keeping it alive for some time is entirely reasonable.

There is no real difference between how IPv4 handles this and how IPv6 handles it.

Applications, regardless of whether they are IPv4 or IPv6, know the address of the remote side of the conversation, it is cached in application data space. If the address changes, the application needs to be made aware of that somehow. This is usually done by a connection reset, often causing the program to terminate. Unless you're going to rewrite pretty much every Internet aware application on the planet, IP addresses (both IPv4 and IPv6) are assumed to be stable.

Assuming that you can keep a session alive for weeks or months without the ability to recover from disconnects is not a smart idea, to say the least.

Is it smart? Nope. However, most applications were designed with this assumption and it works today if you have PI.

Like I said, EVERYTHING is a non-starter today so we don't start anything anymore. The assumption that everything that works today will continue to work forever is broken.

Yep. Question is, what's critical vs. important vs. nice-to-have? (I consider long term connections to be a nice-to-have, btw)

Regards,
-drc