Re: Renumbering

2007-09-13 05:35:06
Dave Cridland wrote:
On Thu Sep 13 12:39:52 2007, Jeff McAdams wrote:
Mark Andrews wrote:
    Except there really is no vendor lock anymore.  It is
    possible to automate the entire renumbering process.  If
    there are spots where it is not automated then they should
    be found and fixed.

Oh man, that's rich.  Do you actually believe that?

Welcome to the IETF, where dreams are made reality.

I particularly agree with Mark's final sentence, there - if renumbering
is a problem, let's solve it.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of renumbering activity
*is* automated, we've simply forgotten that it's already done. We've got
autoconf, we've got DHCP, we have oodles of technology that's deployed
already.

Yes, automated technologies handle 80% or 90% or even 99% if you've been
draconian in designing your provisioning systems.  Its that remnant that
makes the process infeasible, and that's not going to be fixed with
better protocol designs or technology implementations.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."