Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-13 10:13:25

On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:33 AM, <michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com> <michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com> wrote:

OK, how is it possible to automate the renumbering of my firewall
entries which contain IPv6 addresses and prefixes?

How is it possible to automate the renumbering of my extranet business
partner firewalls who also contain some of my IPv6 addresses and
prefixes?

How do I automate the renumbering of router ACLs in my own IPv6 network?

As a practical matter, these things are quite doable. Sane network management practices store the configuration for such devices in offline management stations.

By then writing these configurations in a parameterized form, you can then use the current variable definitions to expand out a concrete configuration. The tools for this are not rare. Languages such as Perl, or macro processors such as cpp or
m4 are more than adequate to the task.

For larger cases, one can also integrate a SQL database to help provide organized
scalability.

This is not theoretical, I've worked with all of the above.

Regards,
Tony