Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-13 08:28:26

That helps, but understanding of IPv6 and mindshare is even harder than
forklift upgrades.

    I'll agree that it is hard.  That's why the clue x 4 keeps having
    to be applied.

That's a LOT of people to whack on the side of the head.  And it pretty
much has to be done in meatspace; the net doesn't help you out with this
problem.
And if you start
looking for technology that would let you automate renumbering your
entire network, you might find that the technology that exists is
incomplete and unproven.

    Which is why I keep saying.  Run through the renumbering exercise.
    Find the problems.  Report them to your vendors.  Vendors being
    proactive would be a big help here.

Yes they would.  But basically everyone can assume that this is Somebody
Else's Problem.  You want to make it the problem for the network admins,
sysadmins, users, application writers, and firewall vendors to solve.
Those people  want to make it the problem for the carrier ISPs and
router vendors to solve.

        I've spent a lot of time adding support to make renumbering
        easier in the places that I can change.  I will continue
        to do that.

        I can't however fix every problem.

And really, fixing the routing system so that it can provide stable
global PI addresses to everyone (say, via something LISP-like) might be
easier...especially that the need to renumber isn't the only problem
that lack of stable global PI addresses causes.

oh yes, and practical use of DNS security still seems to
elude us.

    It will as long as people don't actually sign there zones.
    Have you asked for cs.utk.edu to be signed?

I don't work there any more, so it's Somebody Else's Problem.  :)

And really, there's no way I'd trust DNS to do this.  I've spent too
many years watching it break.

        It breaks much less often once you allow it to be automated.
        We could in theory have all nameservers update the parent
        servers with appropriate glue.  This is not technically hard
        to do.  Similarly NS RRsets.

Keith
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org