Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-13 08:42:42
And really, there's no way I'd trust DNS to do this.  I've spent too
many years watching it break. --Keith

i suspect that you're measuring the wrong thing, or that you're not paying
attention to the "what" that you're measuring.  in a every distributed system
of sufficient size, there is always something broken somewhere.  the sysadmins
at ISC were for example concerned when the trend of broken f-root hosts got to
the 1-a-day level until someone pointed out that once you've got more than 100
systems at least one will always have something wrong with it and it's a good
thing we put two in every POP and have a lot of POPs isn't it?

yes, DNS is always broken.  so is the routing table.  so is the airline system
and most road systems and the stock market.  and it always will be broken,
since in systems of sufficient size, entropy and human error are signigicant
enough to be noticed.  if you don't want to use something that will break, you
ought to start by pulling the power cord out of all your servers and routers.

it's just not reasonable to demand 100% uptime from a million-node distributed
system where most of the nodes are operated by other people.  doesn't matter
if the nodes are BGP routers, web servers, DNS servers, or botted home PC's.

odell's 8+8 relied on DNS for location->routing mapping and that could be one
of the reasons it had so little support.  but in the decade+ since then, DNS
has scaled better than the routing system.  odell had a reasonable design but
it lacked the architectural purity of... whatever it is we're using instead.