Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

2007-09-13 04:20:41

    my persistent question to the enterprise operator is this:
    how frequently do you plan to switch your isp, or how many times
    did you do that in the past?

That's actually irrelevant.  Regardless of the real answer,
enterprises are not willing to buy into vendor lock.

      Except there really is no vendor lock anymore.  It is
      possible to automate the entire renumbering process.

I don't believe that for a millisecond.  There are way too many places
that IP addresses creep into the configuration of components from layer
3 all the way to layer 7 (and beyond).  The idea that "people shouldn't
do that" is just religion, and not a widely-held religion.