Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-10-04 11:31:30
Hi

On 4 Oct 2007, at 19:50, Keith Moore wrote:

http://www.apple.com/jp/downloads/dashboard/networking_security/ ipv420.h
tml

Each time I see one of these "days remaining before Armaggedon"
counters, I can't help but remember what happened on January 1, 2000:
nothing.

yes, but that's because people heeded the warnings, and prepared.  if
the same thing happens wrt IPv4 exhaustion, that will be fabulous.

No doubt - that nicely paid off our profession so we should not complain :-)

However, that's an intriguing discussion because I almost as often hear quite the contrary argument: indeed, given billions of USD and EUR spent on that issue, one could reasonably argue that the issue was overblown and ask to which degree this statement is true and what would have actually happened without all the pressure.

So far, I could not find anything really useful on that (proofs?) but keep on hearing very opposite positions, but it's maybe just me?

Does anybody have any established and sustained opinion on that and could provide verifiable if not objective data? How many critical bugs were really found in typical systems? What would have been the real impact? What could have happenned in terms of impact (meaning: it would definitely have happened, not the what-if analysis)? Was the cost higher than the estimated risk?

thanks for any pointers
artur