Re: Comments on draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02

2007-10-08 10:41:04
I have been somewhat troubled at the discussion about the SG draft and proposed
experiment, and I think part of the reason is that there's a range of leashes
being envisioned, with everything from "study groups are where the villagers
riot" to "the process for forming a study group is indistinguishable from
forming a working group".

If the SG process gets sufficiently close to the WG process, I don't see the
point. If you have to be able to convince a reluctant AD, why would you not
request a BOF? At least within RAI, the running code is "meet as a SIPPING ad
hoc, either at lunch or at 10:30 PM", and there doesn't seem to be much process
wrapped around that.

There are enough positive things about Gab's suggestion (to use the IRTF as a
home for WG explorations, in addition to research) that I'd like to see a
proposal for this alternative.

Dan (and Gab) have been around the IEEE a lot more than I have, but one of the
translation issues I'm wondering about is that the go/no-go decision in IEEE
seems a lot more straighforward in IEEE than in IETF - if you have a plausible
PAR and reasonable answers to the Five Criteria, doesn't the decision tend
toward "go"?

At least in RAI, we've been approving new working groups fairly frequently, but
there have been times, especially in specific areas, where there was a lot of
resistance to chartering new working groups, based solely on the number of
existing working groups and the load that places on ADs
(http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-klensin-overload-00.txt might have
been outside the mainstream, but I don't think John and Marshall were WAY
outside the mainstream in their 2002 draft).

I am intrigued by the idea that we can't charter new work because we have too
many working groups now, because a quick examination of my own area shows about
five-or-so working groups that are amazingly close to closing down, but they do
not seem to close down, IETF after IETF. Is this different in other areas?

I would ask people to spend a little time thinking about the idea that the
number of slots in an IETF week should determine the number of chartered
working groups. That seems like the tail wagging the dog.

Spencer