Re: Comments on draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02

On 2007-10-09 07:30, Eric Rescorla wrote:
At Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:13:50 -0700,
Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:

<big snip>

My observation based on some of the BoFs I have been involved with recently is that far too much time is wasted between two BoF sessions. With little or no discussion between sessions, a good portion of the meeting time is used to get on the same page (again).

I consider this a good indicator that the work is not ready to bring
to the IETF.

Eric, you're probably assuming that discussion groups will
automatically form around viable BOF proposals, and proceed in
a reasonably organized way. That's certainly necessary for
success. My feeling is that as the IETF expands its reach
to more and more countries and time zones, it's become
progressively harder for such self-organization to happen.

I see Study Groups as a way to use IETF resources to
support those discussion groups, instead of leaving them to
self-organize. It seems reasonable to test out the idea,
but it should certainly be made clear that SGs may flunk
out.

Yes, one of the possible outcomes of an SG may be documentation of the discussion and the conclusions in non-standards track documents and closure of the SG.

regards,
Lakshminath

    Brian