Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-10-12 05:33:22
Folks -

 There is an objection by Dean Anderson to the accuracy of
 statements posted to the IETF list by Stephen Sprunk on
 October 3 regarding ARIN's obligations to legacy IP address
 holders.

 While ARIN hasn't obtained a formal legal opinion on ARIN's
 obligations to legacy IP assignments, ARIN's counsel responded
 to questions about ARIN's potential obligations in providing
 registration services to legacy IP space holders at the the last
 ARIN member meeting.  It is the analysis of these comments in
 Stephen Sprunk's posting that is challenged by Dean Anderson.

 The full Transcript of the legacy panel is at
 http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_XIX/ppm1_transcript.html#anchor_13

 Dean Anderson has a produced an analysis of the statements at
 http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/People/StephenSprunk/ARIN-legal-comments.html

 It is in ARIN's interest to insure informed discussion of the
 topic, and while I disagree with Dean's assessment, I agreed
 to send this message to the list so that the community can
 understand that there is a variety of interpretations of the
 statements that were made.

/John