RE: Oppose draft-carpenter-ipr-patent-frswds-00

2007-10-29 14:35:22
Although this may not be a popular opinion, I have to agree with James
here.  Our goal is to have the widest acceptance of a given protocol
output from the IETF.  One way is to have lots of open source
implementations.

One interesting side effect of the existence of an open source
implementation of a protocol is monoculture.  We ran into a problem in
ifax year ago when it turned out that all eight "independent"
implementations all relied on the same library, thus rendering the
"independent" implementations label difficult, to say the least.  Why
were there no independent implementations?  Because in this case, the
open source implementation was pretty good, and it was not worth
investing in a proprietary implementation.  The result here has a really
bad side effect for the IETF: if there is a good open source, free
implementation, there will be no second implementation, resulting in it
being impossible for the standard to progress.

We are the IETF and not the Open Source Consortium.  I would offer we
focus on producing the best and most spreadable protocols.  That hints
at, but does not require, open source.

If one wants open source, participate in one or more of the most
excellent open source communities and forums.

--
Eric Burger
Member of the Board of the SIP Forum,