Re: Oppose draft-carpenter-ipr-patent-frswds-00

2007-10-29 16:21:39
At 04:48 PM 10/29/2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:
"Eric Burger" <eburger(_at_)bea(_dot_)com> writes:

> One interesting side effect of the existence of an open source
> implementation of a protocol is monoculture.  We ran into a problem in
> ifax year ago when it turned out that all eight "independent"
> implementations all relied on the same library, thus rendering the
> "independent" implementations label difficult, to say the least.  Why
> were there no independent implementations?  Because in this case, the
> open source implementation was pretty good, and it was not worth
> investing in a proprietary implementation.  The result here has a really
> bad side effect for the IETF: if there is a good open source, free
> implementation, there will be no second implementation, resulting in it
> being impossible for the standard to progress.

But that is how it is supposed to work!  If there is only one
implementation, a standard is not mature enough to move to DS.  You need
to have at least two, preferably several more, completely independent
implementations in order to quality-test a standard.

but why does one or both have to be open source?

Why can't both be commercial?

So few PSs become DSs, I believe this will almost certainly make progression from PS to DS slower. Is that what we want?

I admit now all PSs have IPR attached, but this is almost certainly intended to kill any IPR from achieving DS. Is that what is intended here?

/Simon