RE: Patents can be for good, not only evil

2007-10-29 22:58:38
At 5:53 PM -0700 10/29/07, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
\The notion that each IETF working group has to approach patent issues on its
own, without help, is silly. Set an enforceable IETF patent policy for free
and open standards, and bring the technical community together through these
groups (and others!) to bust the bad patents we encounter, and I think our
problems with patents will ease substantially.

This is a strawman.  The IETF's patent policy is known:  we require participants
to NOTE it WELL all the time.  Working groups do and should evaluate the known
IPR landscape around their work, but presuming, as you do above, that all
patents are bad patents which participants should spend their efforts busting
is just wrong.  There are patents that advance the art, and the IETF has clearly
shown in the past its willingness to adapt to them when it needs to.  I'd
also say that IETF participants who spent their timing trying to bust patents
on the lines of those Eric mentioned at the start of this thread are
wasting their time.  If the license doesn't stop implementation, the effort
seems to me, personally, as better spent elsewhere.

I've cc'ed the IPR working group, and I suggest follow-ups go there,
as Brian has suggested.  Travel will make me a bit late in reading replies,
by the way; no offense intended.
                                regards,
                                        Ted Hardie