RE: Patents can be for good, not only evil

2007-10-31 12:10:57
Looking at the final office actions from some of my own applications I
absolutely agree with Steve here.  It is pretty clear that the only database
that the USPTO can search effectively is its own.

One of the reasons I file patents is to smoke out patent claims filed by
others. The USPTO is the most effective method available. Compared to the
expense of a patent lawsuit the cost is negligible.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven M. Bellovin [mailto:smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 7:49 PM
To: lrosen(_at_)rosenlaw(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Patents can be for good, not only evil

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:02:10 -0700
"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen(_at_)rosenlaw(_dot_)com> wrote:

Eric Burger wrote:
I specifically applied for patents underlying the
technology behind
RFC 4722/RFC 5022 and RFC 4730 specifically to prevent third
parties, who are not part of the IETF process, from extracting
royalties from someone who implements MSCML or KPML.

That was a waste of your time and money. Publication of those
inventions by you, at zero cost to you and others, would have been
sufficient to prevent someone else from trying to patent them. Next
time, get good advice from a patent lawyer on how to achieve your
goals without paying for a patent.

You're obviously right in theory on this point.  I wonder
whether you're right in practice.  We've all seen far too
many really bad patents issued, ones where prior art is
legion.  The (U.S.) patent office seems to do a far better
job of searching its own databases than it does the technical
literature.

I know there are many philosophical reasons why many people
oppose software patents.  But for others, there are very
practical reasons:
there are too many bad patents issued.  I think we can all
agree that stopping bad patents is a worthwhile goal, even if
for some it's just an intermediate goal.