Re: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-23 17:49:51
On 2007-10-24 00:20, Simon Josefsson wrote:
Norbert Bollow <nb(_at_)bollow(_dot_)ch> writes:
I would recommend that in order to be considered acceptable,
implementation in GPL'd free software as well as implementation in
proprietary closed-source software must both be allowed by the
licensing terms of any patents.

I think that is a good recommendation, and I support it.

I would even consider a requirement that in order to move beyond
Proposed Standard, a protocol needs to have a free implementation
available.

There are two *very* different suggestions above.

Norbert specifically suggests GPL compatibility as a requirement.
That is a very stringent requirement, because of the way the GPL
is written. Simon suggests the existence of a free implementation
as part of the IETF's implementation interop requirements; depending
on the definition of "free", that is a much milder requirement.

In fact it seems like a quite natural extension of the rule
established in RFC 2026 section 4.1.2, first paragraph:
"If patented or otherwise controlled technology
 is required for implementation, the separate implementations must
 also have resulted from separate exercise of the licensing process."