Re: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-24 09:34:17
No.  My point was that for the IETF, interoperability is the goal, not some
general statement about goodness of Free software.  In many/most/maybe all
cases, this will require any IPR restrictions to be GPL compatible.

Can you think of an open-source project interested in the work of CCAMP?
That was one of the examples neither Sam nor I could immediately
come up with, but I'd be interested in hearing if it is just too far off my
stomping grounds.

The point being, of course, that there is a world of difference between
"many" and "all" here.  If there is no development community using
the GPL in an area, forcing the IPR restrictions to meet a GPL test
may hinder development rather than enhance it, especially in
cases where the only requirement in a license is to request it.
For many development communities, that is not an issue since it
requires no monetary outlay.

Speaking only for myself,
                        regards,
                                Ted