RE: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-24 10:19:30
Ted Hardie wrote:
The point being, of course, that there is a world of difference between
"many" and "all" here.  If there is no development community using
the GPL in an area, forcing the IPR restrictions to meet a GPL test
may hinder development rather than enhance it, especially in
cases where the only requirement in a license is to request it.
For many development communities, that is not an issue since it
requires no monetary outlay.

Will you please stop talking about GPL as if it is the only open source
license relevant here! My concern is that *all* free and open source
licensors be able to implement IETF specifications without patent
encumbrances. And *all* proprietary licensors too, for that matter. There
ought to be no "GPL test" for IETF specifications, other than that our
specifications be implementable and distributable under the GPL *and any
other* license.

As for setting our IPR policy based on whether there be an actual GPL (or
other specific license) implementation at the time the specification is
being created and approved, that's a strange proposal. The freedom and
openness we seek is for implementations of IETF specifications now *or in
the future*. We may not be using GPL now, but maybe someone will want to
later. Why shouldn't IETF's IPR policy be compatible with that?

/Larry

No.  My point was that for the IETF, interoperability is the goal, not
some
general statement about goodness of Free software.  In many/most/maybe
all
cases, this will require any IPR restrictions to be GPL compatible.

Can you think of an open-source project interested in the work of CCAMP?
That was one of the examples neither Sam nor I could immediately
come up with, but I'd be interested in hearing if it is just too far off
my
stomping grounds.

The point being, of course, that there is a world of difference between
"many" and "all" here.  If there is no development community using
the GPL in an area, forcing the IPR restrictions to meet a GPL test
may hinder development rather than enhance it, especially in
cases where the only requirement in a license is to request it.
For many development communities, that is not an issue since it
requires no monetary outlay.

Speaking only for myself,
                      regards,
                              Ted